Skip to main content

Life is tough, but so are you!


If you didn't know me and you saw this girl, what is one of the first things
 you would notice or assume about her just by looking at her?


Confident, beautiful, sweet, silly, caring, eager, good friend, happy, genuine, kind, crazy, loving, funny, sincere, authentic, patient, thoughtful, bright hilarious, friendly, conscientious, considerate

When I asked friends and family to use one or two words to describe me, the words above are some of the answers. Notice none of them say sad, depressed, down, broken, anxious, despair, emotional. Unless you are pretty close to me, you would never know that I actually suffer from severe depression and anxiety.  Many would never believe that I take two kinds of depression medication daily. No one would know that that there are many days that I literally have to FORCE myself to get out of bed and that more days than not I physically hurt. A boyfriend even used to say that I was “too happy” in the mornings when I would wake up! The only way I can even describe it in a way someone can understand is: You know when you have the flu and your whole body just aches? That’s exactly how I feel many days.




I will admit that I used to be one of those people that said “Depression isn’t as big of a deal as people make it out to be, they just need to get over it”, but let me tell you that if you have never experienced what it feels like to harbor that monster, Depression, inside you, you will never begin to understand how it feels.  That wasn’t me being ignorant, that was simply being uneducated about mental illnesses.  You won’t know what it feels like to not care if you get out of bed to eat or drink. You will not care that you have not been out of the house or showered in days.  You will not care that you have slept through several meals, and missed numerous phone calls from friends and family. You won’t understand what it is like to either sleep or sit on your bed crying uncontrollably 24/7.


I will also tell you that when you suffer from a mental illness like Depression or Anxiety it is a vicious cycle constantly.  You know you feel bad and someone finally convinces you that you need to get some professional help, so you go see a doctor. They ask you all kinds of questions but you don’t even feel like being there much answering hard questions about how you’re feeling.  If the doctor thinks you are suffering from a mental illness they will often prescribe you medication to help balance your mood. First of all it will take several weeks to get into your system well enough to see a change, therefore you may go through several kinds of medicine before you find one that works for you and your body.  Then you finally start to realize that you are feeling better, it’s a little easier to get out of bed, you might even crack a smile or laugh, something you haven’t done that in a long time! So now you’re on medicine and you’re starting to feel better, and now your mind tells you that you don’t need the medicine anymore so you quit taking it on a regular basis or even at all. Now you are emotional on and off and you start this cycle all over again.


When I was 24 years old, I began a serious relationship with a guy that was 10 years older than me. He had 3 children, one of which was handicap.  During the 3 years that he and I were together I had a part in raising his kids. I had grown to love more than anything.  I would have done anything for these children that were not biologically mine.  During this relationship I was constantly tormented by his ex-wife. She caused me to have to leave my job because she would constantly come up there making a scene. She also tried to run me off the road one night really late, and I began to fear for my life. I ended up having to get a restraining order on her to get any peace at all.  In the end she was one of the reasons for our breakup. Not only did I make the decision to walk away from the man I had loved for three years, but I was also walking away from his kids that I loved with every ounce of me.  His little girl even wrote me a letter and asked me if she could come with me and that just broke my heart! Two weeks after we broke up things seemed to start “spiraling out of control” in my life. My nanny had been sick for quite some time, passing shortly thereafter. Two weeks later I lost my job (which turned out to be a blessing in disguise), and two weeks after that my dog, Phoenix, died.  This was the first time I remember really feeling so depressed that I just didn’t think I was going to be able to ever get myself together.  It did take me several months to actually realize that I needed help and to seek the care of a doctor.  I am now 33 years old, almost 10 years later and I still suffer on and off with depression anxiety sometimes.  I have learned to try to listen to my body, but sometimes it sneaks up on me.  Please just keep in mind that no matter how happy and healthy someone seems on the outside, you never know what they are really dealing with in their lives.  I see all these people in the public eye that are battling mental illnesses as well and many of them have chosen to end their lives. I pray every day that I never get to that point.  I can’t imagine feeling so bad that I would rather not live anymore.  Your life matters, you are important to someone, PLEASE always remember that!


Below I will list some facts about mental illness. If you or someone you know is suffering please take my advice and seek help. If you have thought about hurting your self please call this number 1-800-273-8255 for the Suicide hot line, available 24 hours.


Mental Illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions-disorders that affect your mood, thinking, and behavior. Examples include: depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, eating disorders, and addictive behaviors.

1 in 5 adults experience mental illness in the united states. 18.1% of US adults have experienced an anxiety disorder in the past year, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the US, affecting 40 million adults ages 18 and older.

Some risk factors include (but are not limited to):

1.) Having a blood relative with a mental illness
2.) Stressful life situations (such as financial problems, death of a loved one, or divorce)
3.) an ongoing (Chronic) medical conditions
4.) Brain damage as a result of serious injury
5.) Traumatic experiences like military combat or assault
6.) Use of recreational drugs or alcohol


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Santa,

           I am afraid that I have become someone that we have all been annoyed by at some point in our lives. But you know what??? I'm honestly not even sorry...…as they say (lol) SORRY NOT SORRY! I may have become the dreaded girl that talks about her boyfriend ALLLLL the time (usually without even noticing that I am doing it) and let me tell you why I offer exactly 0 apologies for it!? I am 38 years old, and I have never been in anything but TOXIC relationships. I don't know maybe, once you are in a few bad relationships, you start to think that toxicity is normal, but I'm here to tell you that it's not. It may be what is common in 2023, but it is not how it actually should be. I could tell you some stories that would make your skin crawl!   I had a boyfriend tell me that I was so big that I weighed down my side of the bed. One that refused to take me to Immediate Care when I broke out in hives all over my body and was having trouble breathing because, "That was

My jumbled thoughts on "paper"

       I have been telling myself for a while now that I would sit down to write a new entry in my blog. I have intentions of doing it more, but sometimes my thoughts seem so jumbled and it's hard to know where to start. I will be lying in bed about to drift off and I think of something profound that I want to write, but by the time I wake up, I can't remember what it was.       I find myself 37 years old, not knowing where I am headed in my life. Don't get me wrong, I AM EXTREMELY BLESSED and if you know me, then you know that most days I spend my time LIVING MY BEST LIFE. I have my family, my friends, I own a house and car, have 3 college degrees, and some pretty dang adorable "fur babies", seriously have you seen them?            I certainly thought by this point in my life, I would be married and have a baby or two.  There is nothing that I have ever wanted more than I have wanted to be a mommy.  If I am 100% honest every day that passes that I am not a mom,

A Piece of My Heart is Gone Forever

     The last blog post I wrote, was on October 19, 2019, and it was about the same thing I am writing about now. Only I thought I was hurting then, now I am truly heartbroken. It was a letter to "addiction" but really it was to Jack, whom I loved dearly, but simply (for my mental health) could not be around anymore. Now I find myself thinking of TONS of things that I want to tell him, and simply cannot ever again. This is just a short version of the story!    None of what I have to say is out of any disrespect to him, the truth is that I did love him! I did everything that I knew how to show him how much I loved him and to help "save" him. I hated the person he turned into when he was taking pills (and eventually God knows what else). He and I had a somewhat tumultuous relationship, dating twice over three years. Deep down he was an amazing person, and that’s why I held on for so long, I knew the real Jack was in there somewhere! When Jack and I were together, I p