Skip to main content

Open letter to “addiction”

Me writing this to “you” is probably more for me than it is for you. At this point, I don’t even know if you will ever read it.  Most of my friends and family hated that I was with you, some even quit having much to do with me, because of me sticking around so long. Maybe this will give them insight into my “why”.  
Although I’ve had my heart broken many times, I always try to live for the moment, not for the past. I might give more chances to people than they deserve, but that’s just who I am, I see the good in people even when they can’t see it in themselves. 

You came into my life when I wasn’t looking, and we were both hurt. We both needed something, but neither of us knew what that something was. We had the best time, laughing and joking and making each other smile.  The first time I met you we sat in the living room talking and laughing most of the night. One of our very first dates was even to Chuck E Cheese, “where a kid can be a kid”. Things were so good between us.  



We could sit and talk for hours about meaningful things, or we could sit and watch Netflix together for hours and not say a word. Either worked just fine for us. You never pressured me to have sex or do anything I didn’t feel comfortable doing, you showed me complete respect in that way. You had turned into one of those guys that acted like a teenager in a newfound relationship, holding hands, kissing, and sitting close to each other on the couch, which anyone who knows you, knows is nothing like you. 
You knew I was a “no BS” Kind of girl. I’d tell you when you were being an ass, when your jokes weren’t funny, or when you did something that made me laugh. You respected me for calling you out like that. I remember you telling one of your friends that you never knew what to expect and I liked it that way, I could keep you on your toes. I met your family very early into our friendship, which wasn’t something I had planned for, but I loved them! I remember the day I met them me and you were sitting at the picnic table in the back yard, and you told me “I was the coolest girl you knew” Your sister cooked tacos and we all sat around the table and ate and talked and laughed, it was like I had known them for years. I am still friends with them today, I consider them family. You told me many times that “you had never met someone like me, someone that treated everyone so kindly no matter who they were, someone that was always there no matter what.” I remember every time you told me that I would pray that was the way everyone saw me!  

We did everything together: went to concerts, went to the movie, went to the beach, birthday parties, and cookouts with friends. I loved seeing you play with kids. You told me many times about how much you wanted a baby and we even talked about having one together sometimes. You would even randomly ask me if I liked certain baby names. I knew you had some changes to make before you were ready for a baby, but it was so sweet to see you light up when you talked about it.

You would tell me all about your daddy. I was sad that I never got to meet him, but I could listen to you talk about him and see him through your eyes. I know losing him was hard on you and I knew talking about him was a way for you to be close to him still. I often wondered would he have liked me? 

You never really hid things from me about your past. I knew you had problems with addiction before, but you seemed to be doing good.  Maybe you were, or maybe I was just naïve, maybe deep down I knew, but didn’t want to believe it. I wish that you could have seen yourself through my eyes. Once you had gotten so down and so depressed and it seemed that nothing would make you go get help, I didn’t waste one minute, I went to where you were and knocked on the door. I told you that I was not leaving until you got in my car and let me take me to the doctor to get help. I expected you to be angry and fight me all the way, but you didn’t. You told me no one time and then you got up and got dressed and got in my car. On the way, I talked to you like it was just any other day. I wasn’t there to scold you or fuss at you I just wanted you to take care of yourself and feel better. You were a little mad, but on the ride home, you thanked me, which is something you never did, the only other time that I can ever remember you thanking me was the day I had to bail you out of jail.

In my heart of hearts, I don’t think you ever meant to hurt me. You have it in you to be a good person and have a good heart. No matter how many things you did that should have made me walk away or should have made me mad, I could never stay mad at you; I loved you! When I give some, I give all. And I gave you everything one person can give. Many times, more than I gave to myself.  Even though it was hard for me, one year ago, I decided to walk away from you. No matter how much I loved you I had to love myself too. I had nothing left to pour into you. I think, in fact I know, that it hurt you when I walked away because I believe you never thought I would, but I didn’t know what else to do. My heart breaks every time I see you fall. I will never want anything less than the best for you, but I needed to want the best for me too!  The entire time I have known you I have always been there to “rescue” you, as hard as it is not to “rescue” you this time I just can’t, which in retrospect could be me rescuing you. I pray you get the help that you need! I don’t regret one second of it, God has a purpose for every single person he puts in my life. I only wish it could have ended differently. I want you to know I don’t hate you, I’m not mad at you, and I hope you can find a way to get the help that you need and a way to heal, this is mine! 

I may sometimes fall too but I will ALWAYS get back up and be stronger than before. 



XOXO,
Brittany





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Santa,

           I am afraid that I have become someone that we have all been annoyed by at some point in our lives. But you know what??? I'm honestly not even sorry...…as they say (lol) SORRY NOT SORRY! I may have become the dreaded girl that talks about her boyfriend ALLLLL the time (usually without even noticing that I am doing it) and let me tell you why I offer exactly 0 apologies for it!? I am 38 years old, and I have never been in anything but TOXIC relationships. I don't know maybe, once you are in a few bad relationships, you start to think that toxicity is normal, but I'm here to tell you that it's not. It may be what is common in 2023, but it is not how it actually should be. I could tell you some stories that would make your skin crawl!   I had a boyfriend tell me that I was so big that I weighed down my side of the bed. One that refused to take me to Immediate Care when I broke out in hives all over my body and was having trouble breathing because, "That was

My jumbled thoughts on "paper"

       I have been telling myself for a while now that I would sit down to write a new entry in my blog. I have intentions of doing it more, but sometimes my thoughts seem so jumbled and it's hard to know where to start. I will be lying in bed about to drift off and I think of something profound that I want to write, but by the time I wake up, I can't remember what it was.       I find myself 37 years old, not knowing where I am headed in my life. Don't get me wrong, I AM EXTREMELY BLESSED and if you know me, then you know that most days I spend my time LIVING MY BEST LIFE. I have my family, my friends, I own a house and car, have 3 college degrees, and some pretty dang adorable "fur babies", seriously have you seen them?            I certainly thought by this point in my life, I would be married and have a baby or two.  There is nothing that I have ever wanted more than I have wanted to be a mommy.  If I am 100% honest every day that passes that I am not a mom,

A Piece of My Heart is Gone Forever

     The last blog post I wrote, was on October 19, 2019, and it was about the same thing I am writing about now. Only I thought I was hurting then, now I am truly heartbroken. It was a letter to "addiction" but really it was to Jack, whom I loved dearly, but simply (for my mental health) could not be around anymore. Now I find myself thinking of TONS of things that I want to tell him, and simply cannot ever again. This is just a short version of the story!    None of what I have to say is out of any disrespect to him, the truth is that I did love him! I did everything that I knew how to show him how much I loved him and to help "save" him. I hated the person he turned into when he was taking pills (and eventually God knows what else). He and I had a somewhat tumultuous relationship, dating twice over three years. Deep down he was an amazing person, and that’s why I held on for so long, I knew the real Jack was in there somewhere! When Jack and I were together, I p