Skip to main content

What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You stronger

"What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You stronger"

Have you ever said that to anyone or has someone else ever said that to you?

    I'm not saying that I don't think that statement can be true sometimes, but boy oh boy, do people love to tell you something like that, especially when you least want to hear it. But then again, we all know that some things are easier said than done at times.  

    Many years ago, I was guilty of this myself, so I am only writing this to inform, not to bash anyone!  I have been diagnosed with severe depression.  I have dealt with this for more than ten years now.  There was a time when I first started struggling that I literally either slept or sat on my bed crying every day, for almost 3 months.  It wasn't until my (ex-boyfriend's) mom called to check on me. She then told me that I couldn't keep living like that, so she called my family doctor and made me an appointment for that afternoon. Before I started feeling that way, when I would hear someone say anything about depression, I wouldn't think, "Oh they are just feeling sorry for themselves." so I get it if you find yourself not understanding how someone can be depressed.  I have been told so many times that I "have nothing to be depressed about" or that I just need to "suck it up and quit crying" or even that I "just need to get it together."  BUT I PROMISE YOU if I could do that I would.  Until you have dealt with it, you have no idea what depression is like. It isn't something I do for fun! 

    Let me tell you a little bit about what depression can look like:



   
 There are many things that can cause depression, no one is alike when it comes to mental illnesses:


 I am not the first, nor will I be the last person that has been dealt some shitty cards in life. I had a whole conversation with my therapist a few years ago because there are times that I felt guilty for being depressed about things in my life when there are so many others out there with much bigger bad things happening in their lives. BUT she told me... "That doesn't make what is happening to YOU at the time any less crappy". The majority of people who know me, know me to be happy, bubbly, silly, cracking jokes, etc. all the time, but the truth is that there have been days and days when I was so depressed that I couldn't even make myself get out of bed to take a shower. I have always been a pretty independent person. Except for my parents all these years I have pretty much done things on my own for the past 20 years. I have gotten good at keeping myself busy by going places all the time, but I cannot begin to tell you what it is like to be severely depressed and have to come home at the end of the day to absolutely NO ONE. That was horrible for my illness. If I was home for a few days in a row (Spring Break for example) all alone, I had way too much time on my hands to think about everything. TRUST me, if there was a way for me to get it to go away on my own, I would, but this is something that I cannot help. All my life I have been disappointed by people that I considered important to me. When that happens over and over again, you start to think, maybe that's what you deserve or maybe that's just the way everyone is. Just be mindful that you have no idea what someone is going through or may be dealing with and try to give them some grace!

If you think you are dealing with depression, I urge you to seek help. I know that there is a stigma attached to it, but as long as I take the medicine I have been prescribed regularly, I can function fairly normally daily.

I am more than happy to tell anyone the things I have done that have helped me cope along the way!

For your information below are some resources:



Crisis Support

  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress as well as prevention and crisis resources for you and your loved ones.
  • Alliance Health 1-800-510-9132 107 Sunnybrook Rd Raleigh, NC 24/7 for walk-ins. ...
  • Wake County Behavioral Health Urgent Care (Monarch) 919-703-2845 319 Chapanoak Rd., Suite 120 Raleigh, NC 27603 ...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Santa,

           I am afraid that I have become someone that we have all been annoyed by at some point in our lives. But you know what??? I'm honestly not even sorry...…as they say (lol) SORRY NOT SORRY! I may have become the dreaded girl that talks about her boyfriend ALLLLL the time (usually without even noticing that I am doing it) and let me tell you why I offer exactly 0 apologies for it!? I am 38 years old, and I have never been in anything but TOXIC relationships. I don't know maybe, once you are in a few bad relationships, you start to think that toxicity is normal, but I'm here to tell you that it's not. It may be what is common in 2023, but it is not how it actually should be. I could tell you some stories that would make your skin crawl!   I had a boyfriend tell me that I was so big that I weighed down my side of the bed. One that refused to take me to Immediate Care when I broke out in hives all over my body and was having trouble breathing because, "That was

My jumbled thoughts on "paper"

       I have been telling myself for a while now that I would sit down to write a new entry in my blog. I have intentions of doing it more, but sometimes my thoughts seem so jumbled and it's hard to know where to start. I will be lying in bed about to drift off and I think of something profound that I want to write, but by the time I wake up, I can't remember what it was.       I find myself 37 years old, not knowing where I am headed in my life. Don't get me wrong, I AM EXTREMELY BLESSED and if you know me, then you know that most days I spend my time LIVING MY BEST LIFE. I have my family, my friends, I own a house and car, have 3 college degrees, and some pretty dang adorable "fur babies", seriously have you seen them?            I certainly thought by this point in my life, I would be married and have a baby or two.  There is nothing that I have ever wanted more than I have wanted to be a mommy.  If I am 100% honest every day that passes that I am not a mom,

A Piece of My Heart is Gone Forever

     The last blog post I wrote, was on October 19, 2019, and it was about the same thing I am writing about now. Only I thought I was hurting then, now I am truly heartbroken. It was a letter to "addiction" but really it was to Jack, whom I loved dearly, but simply (for my mental health) could not be around anymore. Now I find myself thinking of TONS of things that I want to tell him, and simply cannot ever again. This is just a short version of the story!    None of what I have to say is out of any disrespect to him, the truth is that I did love him! I did everything that I knew how to show him how much I loved him and to help "save" him. I hated the person he turned into when he was taking pills (and eventually God knows what else). He and I had a somewhat tumultuous relationship, dating twice over three years. Deep down he was an amazing person, and that’s why I held on for so long, I knew the real Jack was in there somewhere! When Jack and I were together, I p